2.08.2009

 

Ready for a Thaw

Seems like this winter has been especially harsh. Perhaps getting older has an impact on how tolerant we can be regarding harsh weather. The bitter cold seems to cut through me like a razor blade. I day dream of the years I spent in Florida (1992-2001) and those many warm days, tropical nights, sea breezes and Caribbean cultures. The Cuban food and Afro-Cuban music were especially lively. I took my wife to Ybor City last year to enjoy some of these things - it was mid-winter. Wouldn’t you know it, but Tampa was in the low 60s...COLD to her, hah. I can dig on 60s in February. I even dig 90s in the summer. Heck, Ohio is in the 90s in the summer, so what’s the diff?

I see the ravages of winter in Columbus. The gray haze on everything outside. the road salt caked on all vehicles, roads and parking lots. Little rust spots seem to be growing overnight from the corrosive effects of sodium chloride. City, county and ODOT workers putting in long hours with giant curved blades and mega-tons of rock salt. Ugh...I want it to be over.

In April, my mother would point out the crocus stems poking up through the snow-crushed flower beds, signaling the start of spring. A late snow was always possible in northern Ohio. One April 6 we had 6 inches of snow and Mom took my picture holding Easter flowers and plastic eggs standing in that snow. A faint hope was on my face, quietly wishing another Ohio winter was over. Like now.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?